Sunday, April 26, 2015

Learnings on the Sabbath #1

It has been a year since my last post. There has been many changes in my life, including graduating from college, beginning my life as a full-fledged working adult, and most of all, growing in the knowledge of God. At present, I can safely say that nothing matters more than God. I believe that as compared to my old self a year ago, my thoughts on what this blog serves to do is slightly different from what I think of it now. 

At present, this blog will be an avenue for me to pen down lessons/key points learnt from sermons heard, hymns that come into my mind, and all things Christian related. At times, it may include my hobbies (e.g. lessons from the kitchen/snail mailing), but that will not be too often as I simply do not have much time for them now (or rather, I do not have much time to document the process). 

Moving on, here are some lessons learnt today and a hymn that stuck with me all day. 

Sermon Notes: 

We are Presbyterians
Acts 14:21-23

1. Government
Church governance 
a. Episcopal
- Rule by one (bishop/archbishop)
- Anglican/Methodist


b. Congregational 
- Rule by all
- Both mature and immature believers can make decisions
- Brethren/Baptist

c. Presbyterian 
- Rule by some
- More mature believers (biblically qualified men) to make decisions
- Titus 1:5
- Acts 14:23
- Proverbs 24:6
- 1 Timothy 5:17 (Teaching and Ruling Elder)
- Acts 11, 14, 16, 20, 21

2. Doctrine
- Salvation by GRACE Alone
- 5 Solas
- Romans 1:17, Ephesians 2:8-9
- 16th Century Reformation
- 5 Fundamentals of the faith
Inerrancy of scripture
Virgin birth of Christ
Miracles of Christ
Substitutionary atonement of Christ
Resurrection of Christ

Verbal Plenary Presevation - God preserved His Word through the ages (Psalm 12:6-7)
Westminster Confession of Faith Chapter 1 Paragraph 8 

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 - signs and wonders have passed away as we have the complete Bible


3. History
- To remember our history, our b-p roots; to know how we came about. 


Fellowship with brethren:

1. God is Sovereign
- What does it then mean to me, knowing that God is in control of all things?
- Does my life reflect that so far?
- How does my life reflect that understanding?
- How should my life reflect that understanding this week? 

Hymns reminded : 'Fear not little flock' and 'All your anxiety'


Hymn in head: 


1 Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream,
Flows from Calvary's mountain.

Chorus:
In the cross, in the cross
Be my glory ever,
Till my ransomed soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

2 Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
Shed His beams around me.[Chorus]

3 Near the cross!
O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day
With its shadow o'er me.[Chorus]

4 Near the cross!
I'll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.[Chorus]


Till we meet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment