Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Prayer



































I am so thankful to God for being able to read this today, in a time most needful. As I was reading this book while travelling today, I was reminded of several things:

The Heart Condition

 “Much of our modern prayer has no power in it because there is no heart in it. We rush into God’s presence, run through a string of petitions, jump up and go out. If someone should ask us an hour afterward for what we prayed, oftentimes we could not tell. If we put so little heart into our prayers, we cannot expect God to put much heart into answering them.” (Torrey, 2010, p. 27)

United Hearts

“Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” (King James Version, Matthew 18:19)

“But where there is real agreement, where the Spirit of God brings two believers into perfect harmony as concerning that which they may ask of God, where the Spirit lays the same burden on two hearts; in all such prayer there is absolutely irresistible power.” (Torrey, 2010, p. 28)

Obeying God’s Commandments

“And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.” (King James Version, 1 John 3:22)

In the book, it wrote about an example of a woman who “lost faith” in God because she prayed and was not given what she asked for. The writer then asked her if she obeyed His commandments in her daily life. This dawned upon me of the importance of walking righteously. I need God’s help to do this, and I cannot expect Him to give me what I want if I do not walk with Him. As I grow closer to Him, my thoughts and prayers will be more in sync, and like what it says about submitting to God’s Will in the book, “So it is with the true child of God. He does not ask merely whether certain things are commanded or certain things forbidden. He studies to know his Father’s will in all things.” (Torrey, 2010, p. 31). Yes, studying to know God’s Will and what pleases Him is what I need to learn more of. May God help me to learn more about His Word daily.

Reference

Torrey, R. A. (2010). How to pray: Praying with power and authority. United Kingdom: Rickfords Hill Publishing Ltd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment